Monday, July 14, 2008

A Whole Year: My Ode to the Seasons and Other Things

In about a month I will celebrate my 1 year anniversary of being in Fort Worth.  Which is so completely strange to me.  I can honestly say that I feel like I've been here my entire life. 


The other day, I was driving home from the Gambill's house and the air was still very warm, but not unbearable, and so I rolled my windows down and turned off the AC.  The sky was deep reds and oranges and went on for miles and miles.  All of a sudden I was taken back by God's glory.  That he created all.  I couldn't think of a better way to spend a Sunday night than sitting outside, drinking iced tea, and watching the sunset.
Maybe it's from spending my summers in humid Houston, but I have truly enjoyed summer for the first time in a long time this year.  I was so excited to let my legs breath in shorts and skirts.  I couldn't wait to wear tank tops and short sleeves.  As the spring softly turned into summer, I found myself glad that it was arriving.  

And I realized that God's plan is so perfect.  I know that the summer heat will eventually wear on me and I'll be more than ready to trade my tank tops for sweaters.  And eventually thicker sweaters layered beneath wool coats.  And when I'll think I can't stand to wear the sweaters and jeans a moment longer... spring and summer will come!
Thinking over my year here in Fort Worth, I can't help but give God thanks for the many blessings he's given me.  And one of the things I couldn't stop thanking him for was the weather of all things!  

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and wiser, or maybe it's because I've experienced an entire changing of the seasons in a new place, but I can't get the beauty and majesty of the earth's seasons out of my head.  And I can't wait to experience them all again!  And in new and different ways.
And more than that, I can't tell you what has been my favorite part of the year!  I loved carving my Jack o' Lantern Bauer pumpkin and fall festival!  I loved the fall retreat with the Everything skit and the rainy outdoors.  I loved decorating the church for Christmas and decorating our apartment and starting lots and lots of fires in our fireplace.  I loved waking up on my day off, and having coffee and muffins while I read about Mitford by the fire.  I loved LTC practices and Easter at Altamesa.  I loved Trek training and planning the summer.  I loved the summer kick-off and seeing movies with the youth group.  I loved Mpulse and I can't wait for Trek.
   
I've loved most every moment I've been here.  Even the stuff that's been hard has been wonderful!  God has been SO faithful through everything and when I forget that (as I often do), I just think of how much he's walked beside me this past year.

2 comments:

Wezie said...

We have loved every momement you have been here too. You have brought new energy and spirit to Altamesa. We love you!

The Morgan's

PS: Happy Birthday a day late!

A Hopeful Hollar Knits said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad that you have been blessed at Altamesa this year. We love you too!